Friday, July 12, 2013

Gifts

Tonight, I've been thinking about gifts.  The kind that make you and others happy.  The kind you can't package.  Talents.  Wouldn't it be great for those of us who cannot play an instrument to be able to sit down and play the piano for solace or for fun or a rousing jam session?!  Alas!  Playing a musical instrument is not a talent I have mastered. 

However, just because it is not currently a talent, can I say that it is not a gift?  Maybe I have it in me, but I simply haven't worked it out.  I started learning the electric keyboard (a very simple and cheap one at that) on my own with an instruction book and hymns.  With practice, I was really getting the hang of it and could see myself being able to hold my own in a small sort of way eventually.  However, a family tragedy struck and I spent my time driving and worrying and sleeping and working.  That's not to say I can't pick it up again. 

What other talents are there out there?  Painting, singing, drawing, listening to others, being peaceful, gardening, birding, planning, designing, enjoying the world, learning and teaching the outdoors, survivalism, leadership, parenting.  Not everyone is good at all of these, some have mastered a few.  I think all of us have mastered something.  But then, for different stages in our lives, maybe our interests and needs change or the needs of those around us, and we leave the further development of one talent to tackle another and serve others as well as ourselves with a new one. 

I used to think I needed to master it all to be worth something.  But I don't.  David McCullough's writing is a comfortable livingroom where I can sit and enjoy what happened years ago in American history and feel uplifted and motivated when I finish.  I haven't yet developed that talent, but I can sure appreciate his, and it has enhanced my life. 

This is a huge topic to discuss!  And it's fun, motivating!  Imagine the possibilities out there for all of us!  Enjoy the search and the learning!  I plan to!

No comments:

Post a Comment